- 21No events
- 2210:00 am-12:00 pm2020-06-22Every Monday at 10 a.m.10:00 am-12:00 pm2020-06-22Readers’ Theatre was started in August 1909 by Don Boyes, a former teacher who had experience of introducing play-reading to young people, as a booster to their self-confidence and social integration. The adults were keen to try it as an interesting pastime, and after a series of workshops a group of readers began meeting regularly to read plays and prepare programmes for public presentation. A grant from the New Horizons programme provided funds for the script library and props needed to begin to form an ongoing active society. It has continued ever since, with ups and downs in membership and local notice. Right now there are half a dozen members who meet regularly (Monday mornings, 10-12, at the Seniors Centre) to read all kinds of plays, and chat about drama in general. A spin-off from this activity (although it was the original plan) has been the development of ‘WordPlay’, public performances of plays, generally drawing on other interested parties to fill out the cast and using scripts but with no or very few props or stage action. These have included in recent years Dürrenmatt’s The Visit, Priestley’s Outward Bound, Shaw’s Pygmalion, and Christopher Fry’s The Lady’s Not For Burning.We also have fun with short plays and skits and sketches, generally for informal performances, as for residents of Braehaven and Meadowbrook, parties at the Seniors Centre, for Probus programmes, etc. All interested parties are cordially invited to come along to one of our meetings – no obligation to read! – and see what we’re up to.Murray Shoolbraid250-537-54322:00 pm-4:00 pm2020-06-22The Active Learning programme involves our members who wish to come together as a study group to jointly explore a topic of common interest. The group meets to hear and discuss presentations made by participants at the Seniors Centre on Mondays from 2:00 - 4:00 PM. Visitors and new participants are welcome, and we welcome proposals for other study groups. If you are interested in leading a new study group, please contact David Counts' email at email@example.com for information and assistance.The current subject is: EXPLORING THE WORLD OF ART
- 2310:30 am-12:30 pm2020-06-231:00 pm-3:00 pm2020-06-23The Painting Group thought we might get more folks interested if we changed the title to Arts and Crafts. Many people claim that they have no talent and would never think of trying to paint in any medium. Sharon Volkommer got us interested in needle felting, home made seasonal cards and painted Christmas cookies. With this in mind we now invite seniors to join us for two hours of sharing our talents and interests in crafts. Bring your knitting, needlework or other hobbies for an afternoon of fun with like minded friends, on Tuesday afternoons 1-3 PM.2:00 pm-4:00 pm2020-06-23Thoughtful exploration of global issues and current events in historical perspective.
- 2410:00 am-11:00 am2020-06-24Blood pressure checked and health issues.10:00 am-12:00 pm2020-06-24Jim Watkins can help you with computer issues.10:10 am-11:00 am2020-06-24Every Wednesday morning at 10:10 am, we get together for an hour of conversation and meditation. For the first 30 mins., we discuss a favourite spiritual or inspirational book that someone has brought to share with the group, and then we sit and meditate. Everyone is more than welcome; no experience or uncomfortable sitting positions required.10:30 am-12:00 pm2020-06-24No additional details for this event.11:00 am-12:30 pm2020-06-24The Caregivers and Alzheimer's Support Group meets for an hour at 11 AM every Wednesday. If you are caring for a member of your family or a friend, join us for a confidential meeting with other islanders who are facing similar circumstances. If you are starting this long, stressful journey, we have been there and can offer support. We have a library of current reading material that you are welcome to use.1:00 pm-3:00 pm2020-06-24Games Afternoon at Seniors. Cribbage and Scrabble are included.1:00 on Wednesdays.2:00 pm-4:00 pm2020-06-24No additional details for this event.
- 2512:00 pm-1:00 pm2020-06-25On Thursdays at 12 noon we serve a cooked lunch with desert and coffee and tea. If you would like to join us put your name down by Wed. noon.250 5274604. But please phone to cancel if you can't make it as there is often a waiting list. Good food and pleasant company, all for 6$.
- 2711:00 am-1:00 pm2020-06-27Come and have fun. Any level of experience and ability.